CMED (Private) Limited came into being following the promulgation of the CMED (Commercialisation) Act by Parliament in 2000.
The commercialisation of CMED (Private) Limited was aimed at
- achieving financial self sustenance
- improve service quality and
- timeliness against a background of a depleted fleet and deterioration in service levels.
The Company’s mandate is spelt out in the CMED (Commercialisation) Act. The objects of the company shall be:-
- To provide and operate transport services; and
- To provide plant and equipment for the construction of roads, dams, bridges and other infrastructure; and
- To perform any other function set out in its memorandum of association